22 August 2011

A Simple Explanation

I don't understand straight couples.

I was thinking this today as I waited for such a couple to make their decision about what they were having for dinner.  They were young, married, sitting next to each other in the booth instead of across from each other.  They were expecting a baby.

For some reason, I noticed how close she was to him, how she laid her hand on his arm, how she looked at him with such adoration.

I found myself wondering what that could possibly be like.  What is it like to feel that way about a man?

The answer for me is that I don't know.  It's a foreign concept.  I can't imagine what it's like to feel that way about a man.  I remember wondering why she would want to be that close to him.  Well duh, it's because she loves him.  She loves him enough to say that she'll spend her whole life with him, raise a family with him, give her heart to him and no one else.

She loves him the same way that I love my girlfriend.  But she probably wouldn't understand me any more that I understood her in that moment.

She loves him.  He loves her.  I don't understand it at all.

In other cases such as my own, she loves her.  He loves him.  But some people don't understand it at all.  In fact, they're not even willing to try.

I still don't understand straight couples.  But I can see where they're coming from.  It's because they love each other.  Why do I stay with my girlfriend?  Why do I want to be close to her?  Why does she look at me with adoration?  It's because we love each other.

It's amazing to me how simple love can be.  It's a simple explanation to the questions and statements and life choices we don't understand.  But sometimes we're just not willing to see how simple it really is.  We're not willing to recognize that adoring look, and remember when we felt that way about someone, what it was like.  We just love to make it complicated.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I wonder sometimes about gay couples but find the same answers you found about straights- it's just love, and you just feel it, right? Another love I can't fathom but wonder at constantly is the love a parent has for a child. I've read hundreds of descriptions, but I can't imagine it. I know my Mom, and I know she loves me, and I know my Dad loves me, but I can't imagine what exactly it is that they feel for me.

I guess we can't ever fully comprehend the way another person feels things. I think it's good that we consider it, though.

Traveler said...

I sympathize with you entirely on this but in reverse. I don't understand straight couples and why a guy could like or want a girl but I get it. They love each other.

This post was awesome! You're wonderful!