13 December 2010

Bridging The Divide

I don't know if anyone else watches the USA Network, but I watch it religiously.  They show a lot of Law and Order: SVU, which is one of my favorite shows, and I love their original series too.  Anyway, this month is Characters Unite Month, which is a really awesome idea in my opinion.

They made a documentary called Bridging the Divide.  It is about the discrimination that still exists in America.  It talks about immigrants and refugees, people with disabilities, people of different races, high school kids, and of course, LGBT people.  I watched it today.  Okay, I cried through pretty much the whole thing.  I'm such a softie.  But I thought it was a great documentary and totally worth watching.  If you go to www.charactersunite.com , the documentary is available to view there.

Also on the site, you can take the Characters Unite Pledge.  I did, because I believe that every person has a story worth listening to, and I know that every life is beautiful.  You should have the chance to be the character you are without fear or judgment.  One nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all. 

I think this is such a good message, especially for kids who are struggling in school and with tough stuff.  We are all aware of the epidemic of bullying and the lives that have been lost because the pain was too much to bear.  I appreciate the It Gets Better Project and the efforts that have been taken to help our youth understand that life is worth living.  I think this project is another way to reiterate that there are so many people ready and willing to accept you with open arms, no matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or who you love.

Check out the documentary.  Take the pledge if you'd like.  Be the character that you are.

0 comments: