05 November 2009

When Someone Suffers

Have you ever crossed paths with a complete stranger and without saying a word, just by the look of them, you can tell they have suffered?

That was the case for me a couple weeks ago at work. I held open the door for a party and a boy, maybe seventeen, walked in. I knew right away that he was family, but there was something else about him--maybe in his eyes, his demeanor, his posture--that just made my heart ache for him. I can't really explain why but I just wanted to reach out and hug him and tell him it was all going to be okay.

I don't know what has happened in his life. I'll probably never see him again. But I doubt I'll forget him.

1 comments:

Frank Lee Scarlet said...

Thanks for your compassion, from another 17 year old member of the family. :)