12 July 2009

WWJD?

TEST: the things we face to prove ourselves to God, given to us by God
TRIAL: the things we face as consequences of our mortal state and the temptations/sins that come with this state of existence
TRIBULATION: the things we face as consequences of the decisions of others

The Main Street Plaza issue is just the latest train wreck between gay people and the LDS Church.

Lately I've been thinking about the relationship between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Lately I am sensing a rift. It always used to bother me when people would get up in testimony meeting and say "I know this Church is true," because I feel like your faith is based on the Gospel and not the Institution promoting it.

I feel like I am at a place where I cannot go to church. It's not just that I don't go anymore. It's that I won't go anymore.

I feel like my time and effort for things of a spiritual nature are better served in studying on my own and learning on my own. I believe in the Gospel and I'm grateful that I have it in my life.

The issues between the Church and the gay community are not going to go away. As more Mormons stand up for themselves and let others know that even the LDS Church is not immune to gay members, I'm worried that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Sometimes I wonder where the greater test of faith is. Is it for us--to endure to the end and weather the heartache that comes with feeling hated and striving to support a church that doesn't support us? Or is it for them--to open their arms and be charitable to people they don't understand, but people who are children of God nonetheless, despite what is being read over the pulpit?

Regardless, the test is here.

There's only one question.

9 comments:

Abelard Enigma said...

I'm worried that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I fear you are probably correct. In this latest incident, the fact that the church quickly offered a press release defending the actions of the security guards suggests that they don't even consider that there might be a problem here. They just don't 'get it' - and until they 'get it' then things are going to get progressively worse.

The first step is recognizing you have a problem ...

Anonymous said...

I hope you will take the time to read this blogger's post about this same situation. It may offer you some additional perspective.

http://originalmohomie.blogspot.com/2009/07/temple-square-smackdown-on-kissy-kissy.html

HappyOrganist said...

he mighta healed 'em

A.J. said...

There is nothing to heal! I hate the attitude that being gay is a disease or a disability. How arrogant.

HappyOrganist said...

well i refuse to repent

HappyOrganist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HappyOrganist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HappyOrganist said...

échappé belle ;-)
et qu'on vous entende, meme si c'est pas moi.
a bien plus tard
-(quelqu'un qui parait aussi malentendu que toi).
and yes, that wasn't meant to be understood. that's kind of the whole point.
Cherio.
[I still like you all. even though you won't believe it. But carry on. Thanks for listening. And this is a lovely blog, Amy. Thanks for putting it up and keeping it up.] Have a good one!
- Jen

alex dumas said...

"The first step is recognizing you have a problem ..."

Isn't that just ironic?

I like the phrase "being made whole" as opposed to "being healed." And one will never be "made whole" unless they want or feel they need to be.