07 June 2012

Day 2: School

My school life is interesting.

I added a major last semester, so now I am an aviation management major and an accounting major.  Both of these are business majors, so a lot of my classes count towards both.  When I figured it out, it's only taking one more semester to get the credits needed for both.  So I went for it.

I have four semesters left before graduation.  Two years.  It sounds like a long time but every time I look at how I've got my classes laid out, I get that little nervous/excited butterfly feeling.  Sometimes it seems so far off, but it's really not.

I have absolutely loved my business classes.  I have a mind that was made for accounting.  I think it's fun. People think I'm crazy.

My aviation classes have been somewhat frustrating, which is really disappointing to me because I love aviation so much.  But I'm not a flight operations major, and that is what all the aviation classes seemed to be focused for.  I would fly if I could, and perhaps I still will one day.  Right now I don't qualify for a medical certificate because of my past mental history.  If I decide to jump through all the hoops and get a SODA that says I am cleared for medical, it will be when I have time to fly on my own and enjoy it.

It's frustrating to want to know more, but not be given the information, and not know where to look for it. It's frustrating to feel like I'm trying to catch up.  I'm not above working hard for my education.  I'm not afraid of having to put a lot of effort in.  And yet, that willingness often seems to be wasted, because I don't know where to find information that will help me learn the material.

If I had one major complaint about the program, it would be that there is so much attention given to flight ops majors, and not enough given to management majors.  I wish that some of the flight ops kids could come sit with me in an accounting class, just so they know what I feel like in the aviation classes.

Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying school.  It's an interesting perspective to me.  I really want to be there.  I'm paying for it myself.  I've had quite a bit of life experience.  And to sit next to teenagers and listen to their conversations, see how much or how little effort they put into something, feel how young they are and notice how some of them take it for granted...it makes me feel old.  I don't look it.  I look just like them.  But I'm almost 30.  And that makes a big difference.

If anyone's interested, I'll be taking fifteen credit hours next semester.  I have two accounting classes, one aviation class, and one speech class.  The speech class is the only general requirement I have left.  I got my Associate Degree from another school where speech wasn't required.  Everything else is covered...except this class, which is taken directly from my nightmares.  So I'll knock it out and be done with it.

Class of 2014.  Yeah baby.

0 comments: