12 June 2012

Day 7: Sports

I realize that not all of my gay friends are passionate about sports.  I have always loved sports.  And in my case, knowing a lot about sports allows me to keep my gay card, so it works out well for me. ;)

For instance, I love soccer.
Right now the UEFA tournament for the EuroCup is going on.  I am so glad that ESPN has been showing the matches, because I've spent my mornings watching soccer.

For a lot of people I know, soccer isn't exciting at all.  Not the case for me.  Maybe it's because I used to play when I was a kid.  Maybe it's because now I have a tiny crush on Abby Wambach and Megan Rapinoe from the US Women's National Team.  I don't know.  But I love it.

Of course, the EuroCup is strictly for European nations, so I go for Spain.  I follow FC Barcelona as one of my club teams (the other is Real Salt Lake and I'm waiting to see what happens with women's professional soccer), and a lot of the players are also on Spain's National Team.  They are so methodical and precise, it's amazing to watch.  My girlfriend thinks it's boring, but the talent it takes to make soccer look that way is unbelievable to me.  Other than that, I usually go for the underdog.

This is how I'm spending my mornings for the rest of June.  Love it.

The US Men's National Team has started their World Cup 2014 qualifying matches, the MLS season is in full swing, and the Summer Games are coming up in London, so it's a good time to be a soccer fan.

I'm also excited for the NBA Finals to start tonight.  I said at the beginning of the season that Oklahoma City had become a force to be reckoned with.  I am stoked to see Kevin Durant vs. LeBron James.  I think this is going to be an awesome series, and for once, I really don't care who wins.  Both teams are deserving and as long as I get to see good basketball, I'll be happy.

Now if the Braves could just beat the Yankees, everyone in this house would be happy.

0 comments: