11 June 2012

Day 6: Tyrion Lannister

Game of Thrones.

This series is completely epic.  I don't know if any of you have seen the HBO adaption of these books, but perhaps you have heard of Game of Thrones because of it.

George R.R. Martin is a GENIUS.  I love these books.  They definitely aren't for kids but if war and gore and some graphic language doesn't bother you, I highly recommend you read them.

One of the characters is Tyrion Lannister, a dwarf who comes from a major upper class house.  I love Tyrion.  He's smart, witty, and he's the only Lannister that we like.  The rest of his house is the type of people that you love to hate.  The fact that he's a dwarf is always used against him.  He's not like a Lord of the Rings dwarf, he's a Little People Big World dwarf.

One of the things I love most about Tyrion though is that as much as people try to make him feel badly about who he is, he won't let them.

"Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery.  If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own.  Then they can't hurt you with it anymore."

"Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not.  Make it your strength.  Then it can never be your weakness.  Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."


Much like we see parallels with the musical "Wicked" and Elphaba, I see it with Tyrion.  Smart little man.  I like what he says.  It gives me something to think about.


1 comments:

Jenz said...

We just started watching this. I love him as well. We started season 1 last week and we are already on to season 2. Great Show.